In one of his recent blogs, Mat Devine, who is one of my most favourite people (like Eugene Hütz and Tim Burton) published a series of 10 provocative ice breakers in response to a fan’s request for help in approaching strangers. His suggestions were:
MAT’S 10 PROVOCATIVE ICE-BREAKERS:
(source The Racoon Society)
1. Katzenjammer is a German word literally meaning “cat’s wail” and hence “discordant sound”, used to indicate a general state of depression, bewilderment or in reference to a hangover. Discuss.
2. What would you do with a billion dollars? I’d have my dentist give me Jon Bon Jovi’s veneers. The exact ones. Taken out of his mouth and put into mine.
3. Many people in NYC seem to be doing a lot of heavy drugs AND a lot of yoga. Paradox? Discuss.
4. The famous wedding march “Here Comes the Bride” is actually a refrain from the symphony Lohengrin composed by Wagner, an alleged Nazi. Discuss.
5. Why, in England, does it take 20 rich white dudes on horses and 30 attack dogs to catch one fox? Discuss.
6. Is semen considered meat or fish? How does this affect the sex life of vegans? Are you a vegan?
7. 5.4 million species of animals worldwide remain unnamed. Well? What’s everyone standing around for?
8. I just thought of a perfect name for a metal band: The Cuban Missile Crisis. Conversely, you know what’s a bad name, for a band or a person? Herman. Discuss.
9. Magellan was killed by a bamboo arrow to the face by one of Lapu-Lapu’s militia. Can we joke about that or is it too soon?
10. Enough idle chatter, let’s get down to the BIG issues: ‘Who are we?’ ‘Why are we here?’ and ‘Will Antonio Banderas EVER make a movie that makes me say, “Hey, I actually have a vague desire to see that”? Discuss.
Inspired by the awesomeness of these I thought I’d have a go too:
ABBI’S 10 PROVOCATIVE ICE BREAKERS
1. If the word hairy means having a lot of hair, shouldn’t the word skinny mean having a lot of skin? Discuss.
2. How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? But more importantly, what exactly is a woodchuck?
3. According to David Icke, the world is controlled by giant lizards. Considering David Cameron, might he be right? Discuss.
4. Google… Gooogle… Gooooogle… sounds a bit stupid when you say it a couple of times, doesn’t it?
5. If you are what you eat are cannibals just trying to self-actualise?
6. Have you ever considered the possibility that everything around you is a figment of your imagination, you are the only thing in your world that is real and essentially you are completely alone in the universe? Do you need a hug?
7. There was once a mouse in the attic of the house I used to live in and I used to wonder if maybe he and his mouse friends would swarm over me while I was sleeping and eat me before I could wake up. Do you hear scrabbling?
8. Cockroaches have been around since the dinosaurs and a headless cockroach can survive for a couple of weeks before eventually starving to death. Do you think maybe David Icke is worrying about the wrong creature?
9. Every year, the average person is known to ingest 430 insects. I’m trying to stay ahead of the game. Would you like a fly?
10. We can only dream things we actually know. There may be strange faces and/or places in our dreams, but your mind is not making any of this up. You may not remember the places and faces during your life, but your mind does. Creepy, isn’t it?